Category I: Planning/Preparation
Through their knowledge of content and pedagogy skills in planning and preparation, teachers make plans and set goals based on the content to be learned, their knowledge of students and their instructional context. Category I reviews: Knowledge of Content and Pedagogy, Knowledge of Pennsylvania Academic Standards, Knowledge of Students, Selecting Instructional Goals, Designing Coherent Instruction, Assessing Student Learning, Knowledge of Resources, Materials and Technology.
Teacher’s performance demonstrates:
- In-depth and thorough knowledge of content and pedagogy
- In-depth and thorough knowledge of Pennsylvania's Academic Standards
- In-depth and thorough knowledge of students and how to use this knowledge to direct and guide instruction
- Clear and appropriate instructional goals that reflect content standards and high expectations for students
- Thorough awareness of resources, materials, and technology available through the school or district or professional organizations sequence, and include adaptations for individual student needs
- Perceptive reflection on teaching and learning and use of such in future instruction planning
- Appropriate and clear assessments of student learning completely aligned to the instructional goals, and adapted as required for student needs.