Category II: Classroom Environment
Teachers establish and maintain a purposeful and equitable environment for learning, in which students feel safe, valued and respected by instituting routines and setting clear expectations for student behavior. Category II reviews: Teacher Interaction with Students, Establishment of Learning Environment, Student Interaction.
Teacher’s performance demonstrates:
- High and clear expectations for student achievement in a challenging and dynamic learning environment, with value placed on high quality student work.
- Significant attention to equitable learning opportunities for students.
- Appropriate and highly respectful interactions between teacher and students and among students.
- Highly effective classroom routines and procedures resulting in effective use of instruction time.
- Clear standards of conduct and highly effective and preventative management of student behavior.
- Safe and skillful organizations of physical space, to the extent it is under the control of the teacher, that provided accessibility to learning and to the use of resources, materials and technology.